Posted to alt.home.repair
Arpil Arpil is offline

Default Kitchen cabinet - Stain cheap wood

I live on a tight budget. The kitchen cabinets are old, rotten and
I'm about to have a set of cabinet built by my amateur brother. He
said he can do it.

I like the cabinet to be stained, perhaps in cherry color (don't know
yet). The box will be 3/4 plywood. The front will be poplar or birch
or pine. Can I stain that type of wood? What steps do I need to do
so the color doesn't look too tacky?

My co-worker's husband told me, I need to buy the "more expensive"
type of wood such as Maple, Cherry, Oak.... but they are too expensive
for me.

If it comes to the worst, I can just paint it. But I would like to
have a stained cabinet if it's possible.

If you would please kindly give me your advices, opinions, that'd be
so helpful.

April