Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default Repair decaying wooden gutter

"Bob F" writes:

blueman wrote:
We have some "architectual" wooden gutters, a portion of which is
decaying/rotting from the inside.

Since the decaying run is only about 6 feet long and since replacing
it would be very expensive, I am looking to repair it.

I am considering the following but am very open to feedback and/or new
or better ideas.

1. Wash out the accumulated dirt and decayed leaves from the gutter
[done]. Let dry.
2. Scrape away the worst of the rotted wood (I hope that I don't have
to be too aggressive here)
3. Use RotFix (a low viscosity epoxy) to solidfy the remaining wood
including the semi-rotted areas that I don't remove [supposedly
RotFix is pretty tolerant here]
4. Use SculptWood (a wood like epoxy that you shape like putty) to
fill major gouges and holes
5. Coat the entire inside gutter with System3 epoxy
- Not sure what faring I should use if any
- Wondering also whether I should consider embedding a
fiberglass-like layer in the epoxy (if so, what type should I
use)?
6. Seal any remaining joints with standard gutter caulk

I would think that an approach like the above would make the gutters
last at least another 100 years while doing nothing to disrupt the
exterior look.

Any comments?

Are the rest of the gutters wood also? If so, the advise I got from a redwood
gutter supplier was to coat them every year or two with "shingle oil".
http://www.matweb.com/search/datashe...4a2 e346ee048

This is a non-drying oil which prevents water penetration while still allowing
the wood to breath. Do not coat the wood with any kind of sealing layer, as that
will increase the rot problem. The epoxy treated area would be an exception, I
guess.

I had to buy a 5 gallon bucket of the oil, but it will last me my life.

I use an appropriate stiff brush to loosen the crud, blow it out with my air
compressor, then brush the oil on.

Replacing the section shouldn't be that hard of a job if you can find the
gutter. I did also learn some tricks about joints in wood gutters if that would
be of use.

Unfortunately, most of the original gutters on other parts of the
house have been replaced with vanilla white aluminum. I hope one day
to replace them either with wood or copper (I need to do more research
into what is most consistent with the original house
architecture).

There are only a few remaining stretches of wood over the
porches. About 8-10 feet here where the rot is maybe another 15 feet
on another porch. My guess is that it would be difficult to finding an
existing matching stock wooden gutter given the age and that taking
off the old gutter is only opening myself up to creating/finding and
having to repair more problems.

The home itself is "historic" including an original part from the late
18th century and the main Italianate Mansard portion from the 1870's
-- I am really trying to be good in preserving the style and materials
even when the newer stuff is "cheaper" or "lower maintenance".