Posted to alt.home.repair
Commish Commish is offline

Default Fixing an Abandoned, but New Mower

On Jul 16, 11:14*am, Eric in North TX wrote:
On Jul 16, 9:45*am, willshak wrote:

on 7/16/2009 10:04 AM (ET) Commish wrote the following:

OK, the mower. The neighbor across the street moved and left his mower
with other neighbor across the street. It's a nice walk behind mower
with multiple walking speeds. Neighbor offered the mower to me while I
find the time to repair the broken drive belt on my old/current mower..
(Walk behind mowers are not meant to be pushed once the walk behind
function fails.)

OK, about the new, loaner mower. Neighbor 1 had a lawn service and
after buying a new mower and using it once or twice... it was retired
- several summers ago. And has spent several years in his shed. It
looks practically, brand new.

So, of course, it won't start, we put in fuel - of course. And I
pulled the starter. Nothing. Not a spark or a sputter. Plenty of oil.
Nice clean looking oil I might add. So, I replaced the spark plug and
pulled again. Nothing. Not a spark or a sputter.

So, what do I need to do to try and get this engine to turn over? If
the mower was stored with fuel, which has evaporated, how do I clean
out the evaporated, gummed up fuel. New fuel lines? New fuel filter?

I'm thinking that replacing the drive belt may be the easier fix....

Try a spray of Starter Fluid in the air intake.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

That's my thought, lack of fuel. I doubt the OP actually checked for
spark, & is throwing around terms loosely. The likely cause is dried
fuel in the float bowl of the carb, a quick fix if you know what to
look for. Somewhere on the tube that accepts the bolt which holds the
bowl on, there is a pin hole that lets the fuel travel from the bowl
to the jet. It usually plugs up when the mower is permitted to sit
with fuel inside. A paper clip, bag tie, torch tip cleaner or such
will clean it enough to allow the fuel to get to the jet & let the
engine start and run. You just need to find it.

Throwing terms around loosely? Guilty as charged!

I replaced the spark plug and wouldn't know how to check for a spark.
Truthfully, I don't know if it is sparking or not. But it doesn't make
any sound at all that make it sound like it is trying to start.

Float bowl of the carburetor is a good place to look - that's the
information that I was looking for. Thanks.