Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default What causes air in water pipes?

wrote:
I've already posted this, but I screwed up the Subject line. My
husband passed away recently and my brain is only on half power.
Also, he used to take care of these kind of issues. Sorry about the
multiple postings

Question:

I noticed that within the past month or so I have a lot of air when I
turn on the hot water. As the water gets warmer the air gets worse.

Since it's only the hot water I assume it's a problem in my house, but
just to be sure I checked with my neighbors and the do not have any
problems. We have town water.

What could be causing this? The air comes out in strong bursts
sometimes and it makes the pipes vibrate.

thanks.

Jane

Hello Jane,

Steam bubbles wouldn't reach your faucet unless your tap water was
boiling hot.

Water tanks have anodes to keep them from rusting. Anodes produce
bubbles of hydrogen and oxygen. It happens faster with soft water.
Some anodes are designed to slow the bubbling.

I'll bet you aren't using as much hot water lately. That gives the gas
more time to accumulate.