Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Fixing an Abandoned, but New Mower

On Jul 16, 9:45*am, willshak wrote:
on 7/16/2009 10:04 AM (ET) Commish wrote the following:

OK, the mower. The neighbor across the street moved and left his mower
with other neighbor across the street. It's a nice walk behind mower
with multiple walking speeds. Neighbor offered the mower to me while I
find the time to repair the broken drive belt on my old/current mower.
(Walk behind mowers are not meant to be pushed once the walk behind
function fails.)

OK, about the new, loaner mower. Neighbor 1 had a lawn service and
after buying a new mower and using it once or twice... it was retired
- several summers ago. And has spent several years in his shed. It
looks practically, brand new.

So, of course, it won't start, we put in fuel - of course. And I
pulled the starter. Nothing. Not a spark or a sputter. Plenty of oil.
Nice clean looking oil I might add. So, I replaced the spark plug and
pulled again. Nothing. Not a spark or a sputter.

So, what do I need to do to try and get this engine to turn over? If
the mower was stored with fuel, which has evaporated, how do I clean
out the evaporated, gummed up fuel. New fuel lines? New fuel filter?

I'm thinking that replacing the drive belt may be the easier fix....

Try a spray of Starter Fluid in the air intake.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

That's my thought, lack of fuel. I doubt the OP actually checked for
spark, & is throwing around terms loosely. The likely cause is dried
fuel in the float bowl of the carb, a quick fix if you know what to
look for. Somewhere on the tube that accepts the bolt which holds the
bowl on, there is a pin hole that lets the fuel travel from the bowl
to the jet. It usually plugs up when the mower is permitted to sit
with fuel inside. A paper clip, bag tie, torch tip cleaner or such
will clean it enough to allow the fuel to get to the jet & let the
engine start and run. You just need to find it.