Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default What To Look For In A Refrigerator?

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 07:59:33 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

Water-softener lines should NOT run to the ice-maker. Softened water is an
ice-maker killer. De-ionized is okay.

If tap water straight from the city taste bad, so will the ice cubes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using 'soft water" (magnesium
removed) in an ice maker. How pray tell can removing minerals and
inpurities harm an ice maker? Do you think they use crud for
lubrication?

I live where the city water is nasty canal water and I use a line from
the undersink RO purifier for ice. Works great. Neighbor has a whole
house water softener as do two of my relatives. Obviously their ice
makers work just fine. Do you have some confused notion that water
softeners add salt to the water output? They don't. The salt is only
used to recharge the purification rods/beads.