Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Cleaning stainless steel

On Jul 16, 2:00*am, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Frank Warner writes:
First thing I tried was a good soak in
lacquer thinner followed by strenuous rubbing with purple Scotch-Brite.
This didn't even cut the oil. It remained baked on.

You have polymerized oil which is called "paint". *Literally. *Most
solvents do not remove paint.

Next time just spray on some oven cleaner and wipe it off. *Really.

Yup, that's my opinion, too. Trying to burn it off, etc., just makes
it worse. To remove a polymerized animal or vegetable fat, you need
to turn it into soap, which is what the lye in the oven cleaner does.
A little help from some Scotchbrite pads can help, for more delicate
stuff, baking soda works as a very mild abrasive in conjunction with
the oven cleaner.

Oxalic acid is a poison, not much of one, but still poisonous, and I'd
keep it far away from food and food handling equipment. Good for rust
removal and removing stains from wood, particularly iron stains from
oak. Should be handled with rubber gloves and don't lick your fingers
or pick your nose while working with it.

Stan