Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default Manufacturing will move

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:28:18 -0800, "John R. Carroll"
wrote:

snip
"Robert" could be back on the job tomorrow but not cleaning up
because there isn't anything for him to clean up, not even at a
dollar an hour.

So what do we do with these people? I can tell you right off
that training isn't going to work. They have been trained,
they tried hard, it didn't stick.

Tom's building could use a coat of paint.
So could the entire neighborhood.
I'm sure there is something. A lot of things, as a matter of fact.
I had two guys cooking for breaks on three shifts for eighty people.
It was cheap and you would be surprised at the connection you can make to
the people you work with through
the simple act of sharing a meal or snack. The benefit far exceeded the both
the cost and any expectation I had initially.
People that know me still talk about it and the practice continues to this
day even though I'm no longer involved.
The same two guys, plus another, are creating something that binds all of
those people together on a daily basis.
The value of that isn't imaginary or trivial.

I'm sure "Robert" could master that with little supervision.
Simple acts like this can and do have profound consequences.

--
John R. Carroll