Tom

Default Tab;e Saw questions

Right, direct drive is affixed to the motor. Do a search for "contractor" type
saws, and "benchtop" type. Expect to pay more, and enjoy!
Tom

Tab;e Saw questions
Date: 11/07/2003 5:10 PM US Mountain Standard Time
I have decided to stop fighting with my old TS trying to get a
straight/square cut. The poor thing is getting old, it was second hand
when I got it. Anyways i was at a tool place today and was looking at
a very nice Porter-Cable. About $600 Cdn . I told him about my
troubles with getting a good cut on my old one. He then indicated that
the PC was not for me because it was "direct drive". He said that i
should get a "belt drive" which is inherently a lot more accurate, and
stays more accurate. I'm not sure what direct drive is. This guy was
running the store by himself and was very busy, so didn't get much
time to query him. Am i correct in thinking that "direct drive" is
when the blade is on the motor shaft itself? I'm quite sure that I
have never seen a belt driven TS and i wonder who/what models of
reasonable priced belt driven are out there right now? Should i expect
to pay a lot more for a belt driven? I've come to accept the fact that
i may have to pay more, but am quite willing to do that as i expect a
new one now will last me for the rest of my woodworking days.
Ken in NS

Someday, it'll all be over....