Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default Repair decaying wooden gutter

We have some "architectual" wooden gutters, a portion of which is
decaying/rotting from the inside.

Since the decaying run is only about 6 feet long and since replacing
it would be very expensive, I am looking to repair it.

I am considering the following but am very open to feedback and/or new
or better ideas.

1. Wash out the accumulated dirt and decayed leaves from the gutter
[done]. Let dry.
2. Scrape away the worst of the rotted wood (I hope that I don't have
to be too aggressive here)
3. Use RotFix (a low viscosity epoxy) to solidfy the remaining wood
including the semi-rotted areas that I don't remove [supposedly
RotFix is pretty tolerant here]
4. Use SculptWood (a wood like epoxy that you shape like putty) to
fill major gouges and holes
5. Coat the entire inside gutter with System3 epoxy
- Not sure what faring I should use if any
- Wondering also whether I should consider embedding a
fiberglass-like layer in the epoxy (if so, what type should I
use)?
6. Seal any remaining joints with standard gutter caulk

I would think that an approach like the above would make the gutters
last at least another 100 years while doing nothing to disrupt the
exterior look.

Any comments?