Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default What To Look For In A Refrigerator?

HeyBub wrote:
K wrote:
Abby Brown wrote:
Hi,

We are about to replace our 28 year old Kenmore with a new
refrigerator. An ice maker is a given. I've looked at similar
looking refrigerators that range from $800 to $2500. I would assume
the more expensive units are better built but otherwise don't have a
clue what I am paying for.
Thanks,
Gary

I don't know much about the high end ones other than they are
expensive.
What I'd look for would start with the following.

a good Energy Star rating - your refrigerator will run a long time,
and is an appliance that can actually save you noticeable money.

glass shelves throughout

split shelves that will give you a lot of flexibility in spacing.

Big door shelves that can handle 1/2 gal soda bottles, gal milk
containers, etc.

An egg tray

Big veg drawers with separate controls.

A bin for butter and cheese.

Some smaller door bins for mustard and other condiments.

A snack drawer that is up front and convenient.

Big freezer - you say you want an ice maker, but that probably won't
leave you room to freeze racks of ribs when you find them on sale. I
have an occasional wish that I'd gone for the ice maker, but it goes
away when I see baby backs on sale for $1.99/lb.

Quiet operation - I don't know how you learn this other than from
online reports, etc. Some refrigerators, even very expensive ones,
are noisy to the point of intrusion. Most aren't, not even basic
boxes, and noise probably varies within a given model. I've heard
loud ones, and wouldn't want one in my kitchen.

just my thoughts,

You put MUSTARD in the fridge?

You know you can maybe double the available space by NOT refrigerating some
things. For example:

* Mustard

dries out, gets a crust, seperates
* Ketchup

gets nasty acidic tasting, turns dark and funny smelling
* Pickles and relish

gets mushy, and the sugar overwhelms the taste.
* Margarine

turns into mush, tastes nasty, separates
* Some salad dressings (i.e., oil & vinegar)

agreed
* Peanut butter

tastes nasty, and if real PB, the oil separates
* Maple syrup

agreed, but it can become unpourable from crystallization, and you have
to add a dash of h20 and nuke it.
* Nuts

some nuts go rancid at room temp if not in sealed containers
* Coffee

sealed containers only
* Flashlight batteries

no significant diff from home refrig, since they are not kept cool in
supply chain
* The dead cat you haven't buried yet

that is what the back fence line is for. recycle, etc.
* Canned soft drinks (use a glass and ice)

not if you have soft water- the ice tastes nasty.
* Most uncut fruits and vegetables (except watermelon, of course)

some yes, some no. I prefer my veggies crisp.
* Olive oil

yes
* Eggs if you plan on eating them in a week or two

no way in hell. my brother tried that on a road trip with boiled eggs,
and I refused to touch them after first 36 hours. I hate dysentary with
a passion. If in doubt, throw it out.
* Most cheeses

only if in factory pack or wax-dipped

Anyway, check the container. Unless is SAYS "Refrigerate after opening" you
needn't do so.

if it is sold cold, I keep it cold. If it is sold warm and I eat it
cold, I keep it cold. I also keep bread products in frig- they last
longer before going green, and it is harder for the ants and mice to
find them.

aem sends...