Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What To Look For In A Refrigerator?

On Jul 15, 1:06*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
Abby Brown wrote:
Hi,

We are about to replace our 28 year old Kenmore with a new refrigerator.. *An
ice maker is a given. *I've looked at similar looking refrigerators that
range from $800 to $2500. *I would assume the more expensive units are
better built but otherwise don't have a clue what I am paying for.

Thanks,
Gary

I know a guy who only looks for one thing in a refrigerator,
.
.
.
.
.
BEER.

TDD

On my list would be water and crushed ice in the door. The ice
systems have improved a lot over the last 20 years and I love the
crushed ice. It instantly cools warm beverages and you don't have
the anoying cubes trying to escape the glass when you drink. If you
want to see a nice ice system, check out Kitchenaid, which is what I
have. It doesn't take up as much space as many other ones and has a
nice bucket in the door which you can just pick up and remove if you
want to take it out to get bulk ice cubes. Also, with the water
system, most of the better ones have water filters. The downside is
the replacements cartridges that last about 6 months cost about
$25-30. You could install your own inline conventional one, provided
you have a place to locate it, eg basement.

The energy star rating should be looked at too, though for most models
the energy used has been improved greatly and in the end likely won't
be the deciding factor.

One big difference in cost is going with stainless. No one can
predict design trends, but I feel safer with stainless and think it
looks great. But of course it depends on what else you have.