Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default Manufacturing will move

Ed Huntress wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Buerste" wrote in message
news
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
"Buerste" wrote:

That's life. You do the best you can for your workers. But you'll
never be able to compete in a manufacturing field that responds to
technical productivity improvements and still keep them employed,
without a high rate of growth for your business, because it would
require an ever-declining wage rate -- until they couldn't live on
it at all.

Nonsense.

Nope. No growth, no employment. And with improving productivity, less
employment -- unless you have substantial growth.

Yeah, you have to pay attention and keep broadening your business into areas
where growth will occur.
What you said was that growth can't keep up. The facts and the evidence
don't support that unless you want to keep making buggy whips. Then there is
plenty.

Let's take Cleveland as an example.
The cities population and tax base continue to evaporate. One area that will
definitely grow is the downsizing business.
Flint Michigan is taking the lead on this. They will be wiping out half of
the place with bulldozers and putting something, or in saome cases nothing,
in the space created. The population will move to the space that is left. I
was born in Flint's East Side Ed. My grandmothers family had a successful
screw machine business on Dort Hwy. in Grand Blanc for half a century. Two
years from now the East side of Flint won't even exist and the screw machine
shop in Grand Blanc died with my Uncle Del, but what is left of all of that
when the city is done will be serviceable and vibrant. They will attract
new industry. I might move back just to watch it happen and lend a hand. The
valuations will certainly be right but I'm pretty well hooked on warm
wheather and ocean breezes.

Tom might consider expanding into the automation industry. He seems to have
a knack for it. There are also a ton of trainable people in his area. He'd
experience real growth if he focused on the sort of automation the energy
business was going to need to make, oh I don't know, batteries for vehicles
that we'll otherwise buy from Korea.

What you have to be able to do is see opportunity, get organized and seize
it. Otherwise, you just set yourself up to fail eventually.

--
John R. Carroll