Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default Manufacturing will move

Buerste wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
"Buerste" wrote:

I know it sounds funny but I feel guilty for eliminating jobs due to
automation.

You shouldn't.
Increasing your sales per man hour is an important metric.

The lack of continual improvements in the previous
generation gave me a huge opportunity to make a lot of simple, easy
improvements that had big impacts in profits. I always had a lot of
empathy with my workers because I've done every job in a production
role. A lot of the jobs were very simple and a lot of the people we
had just weren't capable of anything more complex. But, they did the
jobs proudly and felt good about themselves. I worked side-by-side
with everyone, ate lunch and told jokes with them. Those are the
jobs most easily eliminated and I know they won't GET another
job...they are doomed to welfare. But, If I wanted to stay in
business, I had to cut costs. The State of Ohio was no help to these
people by raising the minimum wage by almost 50%. Almost a third of
my people were affected. I couldn't keep everybody at that rate.
The people that I had to let go would gladly WORK for the lower wages
rather than not work at all...and they knew it! I think it's VERY
important for all people to work and feel productive as a
contributing member of society. The left doesn't get this at all!

I don't think this is a "left" or "right" issue Tom.
You'd like to have a low payed work force with the skill set of Trig Palin.

The left thinks that if somebody isn't making $30k, they should be on
welfare, they are worthless and can't contribute to society.

The average employee salary is much higher now as is the training
level and skill level. BUT, my labor costs are a lot lower,
production is much higher, and quality is higher.

There you go.
The future needs to look more like that and less like lower slobovia.

I've even managed
to have a structure in place that has allowed me and my sister to
take a lot of time off. A few phone calls and a half-day here and
there have kept everything going smoothly. Good for me but bad for
guys like "Robert" who used to sweep and move stuff around for me.
That was all he was capable of doing and he was happy. I had to let
him go, I liked him and he was handy to have around. And, with his
past record, he'll NEVER get another job. But guess what - I
couldn't justify the unnecessary expense, especially after union
demands. I would love to provide a bunch of jobs to people

You either couldn't or wouldn't train him into a decent job.
Had you taken less time off and used your new found increased productivity
to grown your sales instead of paying yourself at the first opportunity,
"Robert" might just have become the kind of productive member of your work
force that would have allowed him to prosper along with you.

Meanwhile, my neighborhood is blighted with the jobless and crime is
worse. Are these people better off on the dole?

The market works. When they have skills that are worth having they will be
paid accordingly.

The yearly COLA from
Ohio won't increase my labor cost or put more money into the
neighborhoods, it'll hurt the people THAT MUCH MORE! Sure, my first
responsibility is to keep the business running and profitable, but
why does the State, unions and other democrats demand that I hurt my
community? It just goes against my grain.

How do practices that encourage a lowest common denominator work force
benefit anyone Tom?
Here is an idea. Take some of your new found free time and have you and your
sister get of your asses.
Found a training center for the "Roberts" in your community. That is what
your community relies on it's leaders to do, not go fishing.

Sorry, just another fanatical right-wing rant.

Hardly, it is just ignorant and lazy.
Filling the American work force with three dollar an hour retards isn't
going to produce anything three dollar an hour retards can't afford. You can
realize your version of the American Dream real easily. Move to Somolia or
Ethiopia, places that work exactly to your liking.

--
John R. Carroll