Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default ground source heat pumps

In message
, NT
writes
On Jul 15, 4:51*pm, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:

This is a slinky for a ground sourced heat pump, made from a concrete
block.http://www.ebuild.co.uk/forums/messa...tml?1208929618

Interesting idea. But I think the assumption that the same amount of
heat will get extracted when all the pipes are bunched up close is
rather unrealistic. On the plus side the concrete used could contain a
high percentage of hardcore if the top of the cage is left open.

If the water does not leave the ground - pumped into a below ground chamber

and out again, then I would assume he can pump as much as he wants.

so much for assumption

I have posted an enquiry to the EA on the basis that they would be
informed by the planners if I specified using part of their flood plain
to extract heat. Secrecy is not the way forward!

The slinky system can extract about 1kW per 10m of trench but my
uncalculated guess is that a huge system would be needed to supply the
heating energy for 200m2 of buildings.

ISTM that pumping *river* water from the gravel beds in the land next to
the bank should give a clean supply not full of fish or blanket weed.
Extracting the useful heat using DD's heat exchanger and then returning
the chilled water some distance from the source should give better
results than the usual pipe in a well. The slinky pipe has to be filled
with anti-freeze leading to ground water contamination risks although I
understand this can be brine.

20m3/day or 833kg of water per hour. Extract 5deg. C is how much energy?

As this project is right on target with current govt. thinking, a
licence might be forthcoming anyway:-)

The waste can feed an ornamental fountain.

regards

NT

--
Tim Lamb