Posted to alt.home.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default What causes air in water pipes?

wrote:
I've already posted this, but I screwed up the Subject line. My
husband passed away recently and my brain is only on half power.
Also, he used to take care of these kind of issues. Sorry about the
multiple postings

Question:

I noticed that within the past month or so I have a lot of air when I
turn on the hot water. As the water gets warmer the air gets worse.

Since it's only the hot water I assume it's a problem in my house, but
just to be sure I checked with my neighbors and the do not have any
problems. We have town water.

What could be causing this? The air comes out in strong bursts
sometimes and it makes the pipes vibrate.

thanks.

Jane

Could be cavitation.

Any valves connecting water to your heater should be
'full on'. That is to say, the handle(s) should be
turned counterclockwise till it stops.

Here, a homeowner has turned off the 'inlet' and
'outlet' valves before disconnecting the water
supply.

http://www.waterheaterinstallation.i...d-top-crop.jpg

Beware that the top of the heater will be HOT so
use caution and think about the consequences of
an involuntary flinch. Test first with the back
of your hand and please stay clear of the exhaust
stack poking up from the middle of the heater.

--Winston