Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default LCD mounting brackets

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Been asked to mount an LCD TV for someone, but I'm horrified at the
price of the mounts, given what they are. Price seems to be for style.
This one will be completely invisible. Anyone know a source of
functional brackets for reasonable prices, without the style
surcharge?

(This one needs to hold TV out about 30cm on a 200x100 VESA mount.
A single extension arm would do.)

How big - and heavy - is the TV?

Does the mount need tilt adjustment? If so, does the tilt angle need to be
able to be changed easily?

What is the construction of the wall to which it will be fixed?

I've recently been through a similar exercise to find a bracket for mounting
a 26" Philips set in our new kitchen/diner. In our case, it needed to swing
round easily, to be viewed from different positions, and the tilt angle also
needed to be easily changeable.

At the time, Maplins were doing a bracket for about £25 which *looked* as if
it might do the job, but I wasn't convinced that the tilt would be easily
adjustable - it looked as if the set would flop forward unless the tilt
bolts were done up tight.

In the end, I ended up with one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000YH5DI...mp-1-739554-21 - which I got
from Laskys for £80 (can't see it listed on the Laskys site at the moment)

Expensive - but does the job admirably.

One thing I found was that the back of the set flexed quite a lot on its 200
x 100 VESA mount. Since the bracket's plate covered a lot more of the set
than the 200 x 100 Vesa area, I stiffened the whole thing up by putting a
strip of double-sided sticky foam pads along the top and bottom of the
plate - thus spreading the load over a larger area of the set. [No, I didn't
cover up any ventillation holes!]
--
Cheers,
Roger