Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default WARNING: THIS SITE MAY BE COMPROMISED

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:42:53 +0100
"dennis@home" wrote:

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:32:46 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

He is another of those linux people that thinks he is safe, wrongly!

Then he should read this from the Symantec page.

"Rootkits first appeared on the UNIX operating system.
Administrator/Superuser
accounts on UNIX systems are called root. "

Its quite common amongst linux users to think they are invulnerable.. so
they don't take much in the way of security precautions. This is made worse
because the majority of them are unable to tell if they have been rooted as
they have no tools to tell them and they don't understand what should be
running on their machine in the first place.

They will counter this argument by saying how many exploits exist for
windows.. this being the fools argument as we are not talking about how
secure windows is.

Indeed you are correct. I am a Linux user, but I consider it important
to have up-to-date firewalls, virus checkers on both incoming and
outgoing mail, and I check the logs daily to see if I need to do
anything more. In fact I go further and have a firewall on the
Internet connection machine, and then individual firewalls on each
client. The outgoing virus check is to protect you Windows users from
anything that might infect me.

It is true however, that for a layman, Linux is less often targeted,
and thus you might get away with it for longer. I also think that the
average Linux user could rebuild his system if it got compromised, but
the average Windows user can't.

R. (FBCS CITP)