Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default What To Look For In A Refrigerator?

"Abby Brown" wrote in message
Hi,

We are about to replace our 28 year old Kenmore with a new refrigerator.
An ice maker is a given. I've looked at similar looking refrigerators
that range from $800 to $2500. I would assume the more expensive units
are better built but otherwise don't have a clue what I am paying for.

Thanks,
Gary

I find that for every 10% higher the price, you get 5% more in value. What
you get extra is often not ever seen, such as the compressor system. Some
are more efficient and quieter than others, but you won't find
specifications of what is actually behind the fancy cabinet. More money
tends to buy more features, heavier material, glass shelves instead of wire,
and so forth.

I prefer the Whirlpool lines rather than say, the Frigidaire family of
brands. You may see two brands under the Whirlpool flag with the same price
but with different layouts inside. That is your preference.

Most models are now Energy Star rated and yours should be too. Given the
age of your old unit, the electric bill will go down.

Be sure to check your local dealers too if you are looking at the big box
stores. The local guy usually belongs to a co-op and can be very
competitive in price and will usually offer better service for delivery,
removal, setup, etc. If you have a problem, the local guy is going to be of
more help than calling some conglomerate.