Posted to alt.home.repair
Some Guy Some Guy is offline

Default What To Look For In A Refrigerator?

Abby Brown wrote:

We are about to replace our 28 year old Kenmore with a new
refrigerator.

We had a Kenmore Eurotech (worked fine - just too small). It was 18 cf
and top-freezer, about 15 years old. We wanted a larger fridge and
bottom freezer.

We picked up a Maytag 20 cf unit from Sears Outlet store for something
like $750 (it was a steal at that price).

This fridge seems to "cluck" about a dozen times every time the
compressor comes on.

Our Eurotech was extremely quite - except that half the time the
compressor shut down it did so with a loud clunk. It had an exposed
rear radiator, but this new maytag must have the radiator under the
fridge (nothing exposed on the back) so it needs a fan to move the air
and cool the coils. I don't like that - I wish it had exposed coils and
no fan (I don't like the additional noise of the fan, even though it's
quiet by most standards).

The Maytag has an ice maker, but I don't go through enough ice to deal
with installing a line and messing with maintaining it (keeping it
clean, etc). It's easier to just throw some water in a tray and shove
it into the freezer.

We specifically did not want double doors - you loose a lot of space
with a french-door setup, and it just makes it less ergonomic.

I think the most desirable features a

1) size - 20 cf better than standard 18 cf.

2) Bottom freezer - better than top freezer (but they will make
you pay a premium for bottom freezer)

3) swing freezer door - slide-out freezer drawer (personal
preference, maybe depends on available space in front of
fridge, but they will REALLY make you pay for slide-open door
vs swing-open freezer door)

4) stainless steel vs painted (or powder-coated?) finish
(personal preference I guess)

5) operating noise (hard to judge on a show room floor, very
noticable in the dead of night in your kitchen)

Amount of insulation or ease of service is next to impossible to judge.
Many units from different brands are actually made at the same plant.

An
ice maker is a given. I've looked at similar looking refrigerators that
range from $800 to $2500. I would assume the more expensive units are
better built but otherwise don't have a clue what I am paying for.

Thanks,
Gary