Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Steam bending redwood

"Mark Haveman" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with steam bending redwood??

I don't.

I have been
asked to make an arch 9" wide with about a 3' radius, 3/4" thick.
The wood
has not been kiln dried so that will help. It has been air dried.
Steaming
might be easier than a bent lamination but I have no experience with
redwood.

Personally since you have a 3' radius and only 3/4" thickness is
required, I'd probably laminate three (3), 1/4" thick pieces in one
pass using laminating epoxy with a slow hardner to get 25-30 minutes
of open time.

If you try to steam it, you will be under the gun the whole time.

Epoxy gives you some breathing room.

Have fun.

Lew