Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Long serial cable

Dave wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Dave wrote:

Its better to keep signal ground and screen separate... so generally
I use a core in a screened cable for signal ground, and save the
screen for its intended purpose.

I take it that one end of the cable has a flying braided lead to
earth the screen then?

On the 25 way connector pin 1 is reserved for screen, and pin 7 for
signal ground. The screen is also in theory paralleled with the shell
of the D connector.

Thanks John, I don't have my spec handy at the moment and it has been a
long time since I played with these conectors.

You know what they say about RS232 - the 232 bit describes the number of
valid ways you can connect three wires to a 25 pin plug ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.