Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default What is the obstruction in this cleanout interior drainpipe?

on 7/13/2009 11:31 PM (ET) ShadowTek wrote the following:
What is the obstruction in this cleanout interior drainpipe?

http://www.savefile.com/files/2153090
(Click on the orange "Download File" button on the lower right.)

I have a drain that backs up after the water is run for about a
minute. I ran a snake as far down the pipe as it would go, but couldn't
find the clog. I got under the floor and found a cleanout access for
that pipe. I opened the cap, looked inside, and saw that there was
something that looked like an internal flap that I guess is supposed
to direct water towards the drain and away from the cleanout cap. I
poked at it, and it appears to be made out of some sort of foam-like
material, as it gave a little when I pushed against it.

But what goos is a cleanout access if you cant get into the pipe to clean it out???

Am I just supposed to tear that thing out of there, or what?

There shouldn't be anything in the pipe, whether it is near the cleanout
or anywhere else in the pipe.
Got a toddler in the house? Maybe he/she flushed a sponge or rag down
the drain.
Got a woman in the house, or had women visiting? Maybe a Kotex was
flushed down the drain.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY