Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default powering a 12v 1HP winch

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:28:58 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Jul 13, 11:01*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
1 HP is 746 wattts. At 11 volts (under load) that's 68 amps.
You could do that off a car battery for short periods, if
you had a running car and jumper cables to bring the power
back up. Use VERY short electrical connections between the
winch and battery 2-0 wire or 4-0 is called for.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:57:03 -0400, Jim Elbrecht

wrote:
I picked up a winch that I'll be using to pull dirt out of
my
basement. * So now I need to power it.
It is a one horse motor- 2000lb capacity.
http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-114.../dp/B0015D4ZH0
I'll be using it to pull a [roughly] 300pound load up a
wheeled
incline for 20 feet--- * then it will rest for 30 minutes
or so-- then
repeat. *Probably not more than 3 times. . . *then do it
again
tomorrow.
So I won't be working the thing real hard. * * What are
some thoughts
on how to power it.- Hide quoted text -

The load he is actually going to put on it requires more like 1/10 of
a hp. More in the neighborhood of 10 amps or less.

The winch can exert a force of 2000 pounds and some thought the whole
load would be 300 plus the 100 pound hopper. Much less than its total
capacaty.

That raises a common question for me. Are winches smart enough to use
less just because a smaller winch could do the job?

Are wallwarts, adapters, smart enough to use less even when the
low-voltage appliance or electronic device they power are turned off.
HOw much less? I know that if there is no current in the secondary,
that someone provides more impedance to the primary, but I don't know
how much or what the resulting current is in the primary, whose own
internal resisstance and internal impedance hasn't changed.

The winch doen't have a secondary. Does it have a speed control? The
url he gave mentions on/off toggle but no speed control. What happens
when the load is much less than maximum? Does it turn faster or the
same speed, but using less current? How much less?