Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

Default Septic tank emptying - average cost?

In article , jamma-plusser
wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 22:38:16 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

A biodisc is rather different to a septic tank as it is mechanical.
They still need inspecting and checking every six months or so to
ensure they are functioning correctly. If they are just left the
chances are that the outflow is well above the legal level. You can
get a sort of starter culture for a spetic tank but they are often not
needed.

Thanks. I'm still wondering if a starter culture might be needed in my
tank though. Is such a culture expensive? Where could I get one?

Do you (or family friends) travel to France? Most of the brico places have
something. The one we're using at the moment is called 'WC NET'. Sachet
of grey powder twice as big as a tea bag that you flush away every month or
three. Less than a tenner for about a year.

You might get something similar at a boat or caravan centre

We emptied our tank once in over 20 years (and I'm sure the previous owners
didn't empty it before selling to us)

John (in France)

--
John Mulrooney