Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.d-i-y
Rob[_21_] Rob[_21_] is offline

Default DVD widescreen problem

John Rumm wrote:
wrote:

We've got a Toshiba widescreen rear-projection TV, and an 'el cheapo'
DVD player. The problem is that when playing DVD's which are in the
4:3 format, the TV keeps switching between 4:3 and widescreen, after
the DVD has been playing for a few minutes. It seems to work OK with
widescreen discs.

So, what do people think, is there a fault with the TV, or the DVD
player?

The TV switches OK with our el cheapo Freeview decoder, putting in
grey 'curtains' when showing 4:3.

Can you turn off the auto format selection on the TV in these
situations? i.e. manually set it to 4:3 rather than let it auto select.

That's what I have to do - for some reason something in the signal
causes the auto-format to kick in.

Rob