Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car bodywork Spray paint on timber?

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Yes - the older cellulose paints were often used on furniture to give
those high gloss results. But how well it would stand up to external
use, I dunno. Modern car paints are water based. Water based external
household paint should have the same sort of resistance to weathering.
It was oil based paints that go yellow.

Ahem. Well I did this when my Defender was new. Made some rear speakers
for it and got the car sprayers to match the interior colour.

Now the paint was FINE, but it did not attach to the cellulose sanding
sealer I had sealed the wood with..Not sure why, but after 5 years it
was flaking off.

If the paint wasn't cellulose - and that hasn't been used on new cars for
about 20 years - you need a barrier coat between cellulose type products
and the two pack or whatever.

And thereby is the key point. Wood moves, and car paints do not. You
MUST hermetically seal and prep the wood with compatible sealers and
primers before spraying.

5 years is not a bad life for *any* paint on wood exposed to the sun, etc.

--
*Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.