Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default OT Bedroom safe

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:07:30 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Ignoramus20849 wrote in
:

On 2009-07-13, SteveB wrote:

Do you think that those sorts of people would be capable of removing
a safe that is attached to a wall, with lag screws?

You're a man very familiar with tools. On a bet, how long would it
take YOU? My choice of tools would be two. Crowbar and cordless
sawzall with extra battery and extra demo blade. Does that still
count as two. So, five, but something a guy could carry in a
pillowcase.

If the safe was screwed both to the floor and the wall, with lag
screws going into floor joists, I would think that it would take me at
least an hour, assuming that I could use any tool obtainable at Home
Depot.

Smash the drywall, cut four studs. I'd estimate three minutes tops.

A little harder with the floor involved, though. We have oak flooring,
which would complicate matters somewhat.

All in all, it would not stop a determined burglar with many tools and
a lot of time, I agree with you here.

It used to be that really big commercial safes were rated in "hours".
Usually they had two ratings; one for how long it would take to break in,
and one for how long they could sit in a fire before the innards reached
the ignition temperature of paper.

Nothing is burglar proof if they all the time in the world. The best you
can do is make sure it takes long enough for them to give up, get caught,
or better yet, not bother with it.

Doug White

Aaaaaaaaaaand... You have motion sensors in the room, and tilt/
shock/ deadman switches or other sensing devices on the safe, and a
central station burglar alarm. Oh, and a CCTV camera and recording
system would be a big plus.

The crooks better be fast at sawing through those studs, because the
Cops will be out there as quick as they possibly can when the Alarm
Company gets the message across that multiple sensors say the burglars
are trying to take or break into the *handgun safe* in the bedroom.

And the Cops won't be in a cordial mood, because they know full well
one of the things a stolen weapon would be used for.

-- Bruce --