Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default Tornado

Roger Chapman wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

snip

The value of the land accounts for 2/3 of the average house price.

Dribble has been spouting this nonsense for years. Other sources have a
different take on the subject. A quick google came up with the following
quote from Self Build ABC.

"The value of plots of land for sale can be found by identifying similar
sized plots that have already been developed. The land should equate to
approximately 35% of the market value of the entire property."

snip

It's a few years ago now, but the survey on our last house gave value
and rebuild costs:

Value: 86K
Rebuild cost: 35K

so plot = 51K. Not far ofF Drivel's number. He can't _always_ be
wrong. I suspect it varies radically with area: Rebuild costs are
probably much the same across the country, and prices certainly aren't.

(prices have probably tripled since then.)

aNDY