Posted to alt.home.repair
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default laminate floor over cruddy vinyl tile -- subfloor?

HeyBub wrote:
: Andrew Barss wrote:
:
: That's pretty much what I've decided to do, except no plywood.
: The Delta-FL (which is available through Lowes as a special order,
: at about .56/sf) goes down, with an optional layer of polystyrene
: landscape fabric under it to decrease any clicking, with the
: laminate (which has a foam underlayment built in) on top of that.
:

: Huh? Delta-FL is a dimpled plastic that is designed to separate a plywood
: underlayment from a damp, cold, basement floor. The dimples are so far apart
: that I have serious doubts whether covering it with laminate will work.
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxOwIfJWLAY

I'll double check, but my understanding is that you need
to cover the Delta-FL with plywood only if you're laying carpet.
Laminate can go right on top, as per the Delta-FL installation
instructions at

https://www.spycor.com/v/vspfiles/te...stallation.pdf

Furthermore, the laminate I am using (Pergo Casual Living Exotics)
forbids, I think, a plywood or other subfloor between the moisture barrier and the
laminate.

If you know for sure that I'm wrong, please say so.

-- Andy Barss