Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Power/pressure washers: GPM & PSI - are they accurate, what ismore important

In article , Some Guy wrote:

Can you cite any authoritative source that has done any sort of analysis
of several models of home, farm or light-commercial grade power washers
and has come to that conclusion or made that observation?

My problem with your queries is that you're asking for a hell of a lot
more information than any one person is likely to have. Few people own
more than one pressure washer, or have owned more than a couple of them
in their lives. And almost none of them have ever verified the accuracy
of the stated GPM or HP.

I think the best you're going to get out of a bunch of random idiots
(and I mean that in a polite way) is anecdotal stuff such as:

"I used to own an ABC model 17 washer, with specs "such and such," and I
used it to do tasks X, Y, and Z. It was OK for X, fair for Y, and
useless for Z. Last year I bought a DEF model 99, with specs "this and
that," and it is more than I need for X, works well on Y, and is
acceptable but slow for Z."

If you get enough of those tales, you're going to have to tabulate and
analyze the results yourself. But I doubt you're going to get much
statistical significance out of a small group like a.h.r.

No one here is going to do a major research project for you, only
contribute small bits to your own research project. Maybe you can
approach CR, and tell them you'd like to write a piece on the topic, and
ask them for $20,000 to buy the washers, $10,000 to do the research, and
$10,000 to write the article.

Having said all that, I'd say spend the most you can afford on name
brand equipment, and limit yourself to tasks it will perform, as
determined by your own experience.

I know many here are happy with their units, but I've never seen the
need for a home owner quality, 120 VAC washer. I've got a very good
brass hose nozzle, no moving parts, and it's capable of doing everything
I need done. If I ever need something more serious done, I'll hire a guy
with a professional unit on a trailer, powered by an actual internal
combustion engine.