Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Best cable splitting strategy.

PatM wrote:
On Jul 12, 1:15 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I know that the cable modem must have a pretty strong signal so it can
be downstream from a few splitters.

But I need to put in at least one or two. Where the cable comes in (A)
I have a single TV. The modem is in the next room (B) where there is
another TV. I'm choosing between two options:

1. 2-way splitter at location A and a 2-way splitter at location B.
2. 3-way splitter at location A

Way 1 is neater, but perhaps the modem gets only 1/4 of the signal.
Way 2 is more cumbersome, but perhaps the modem gets 1/3 the signal.

So which way is better?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

I just installed a cable modem. The speed was okay but not great.
The cable company sent a tech out. He said they ALWAYS split for the
modem right after the grounding clamp. He put on a 3 way where there
had been a 2 way and ran a line directly to the modem. I have a TV
right near it and asked about putting in a splitter for that. He said
to use the existing (old) wire for the TV and to keep nothing but the
modem on the dedicated wire.

I have a signal booster for the TV (because the signal was not too
good) and picked up a two-way booster at Walmart. It turns out the
signal was bad because of the grounding clamp was bad. When he
replaced it it made a huge difference.

My buddy was asking about an amplifier. He bought one and there was no
improvement. I stopped by, clipped off a couple mickey mouse twist on
coax connectors and installed snap seals. Problem solved and no
amplifier required.