Doug Miller

Default ... transfer a pattern to your wood - UPDATE - Affect on wood?

In article t, "Pops" wrote:
It looks like the 3 leading methods here a

1. Carbon paper and trace the design. With my shaky hands, not sure I want
to use this method. I shake enough when I saw!

Cut back on the coffee! :-)

2. Glue the pattern down with 3M77 or other rubber cement.
3. Iron on from printed pattern.

Question: What do options 2 & 3 do to the wood. Does the glue absorb and
stain? Does the iron "burn" the wood to a different color?

SWMBO and our 12-yo son have done a fair amount of scroll saw work, *always*
using 3M77 to hold the pattern to the wood. They use mostly native North
American hardwoods, and some holly and purpleheart. AFAIK, they have *never*
had any problems with the adhesive staining the wood. I suppose that might be
a problem with some of the oily tropical woods, but that's just a guess.

I'm sure that you could burn wood with an iron if you left it in one place
long enough, but I haven't had a problem with that. I use the "cotton" setting
on the iron, and keep it moving around -- just like you would to avoid
scorching a shirt. It doesn't take long at all. Note that it *does* take more
pressure than you would use ironing a shirt, to transfer a pattern to a board.