Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.electronics
mr deo mr deo is offline

Default can i use a 12 volt battery on a 9 volt device ?

"hhgggff" wrote in message
news
My friends dad is building a Tardis for his grandson.

We have rigged up the blue flashing light using a 12 volt car battery, we
now need to sort out the sounds.

I was thinking of using an old cars cassette tape, but I have an old 9

volt
portable cassette handy.

Will it burn down the TARDIS if I use that instead ?

tafankuverymuch

If the old player isnt that important, just wire it up and see what happens
..
Worst case is that your throwing away something that probably shoulda been
discarded years ago anyhow..
If it just plays too fast then you can make a slower recording ;P..

http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM2575.html
throw in a diode, inductor, couple of caps, and a variable resistor and you
have a up to 1amp source :/..
Course, it might just be cheaper and easier to find some crappy used phone
charger or something that has a output close to 9v ..