Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Why Good Drawings Are Important - Long Boring Story

"Swingman" wrote in message
MikeWhy wrote:

I don't want to be too harsh, but when you asked for a welded nut,

you got a welded nut. You later asked for sheet metal, and they gave you
welded sheet metal. It then turns out you want a weld nut, and no doubt
didn't bother to specify the weld, but you were satisfied with the result.
All through that, the supplier didn't bother to **** in your teacup, but
quietly complied at his own expense. What more would you like? Which is
the idiot? And which acted in good faith?

In my world, if it's in the plans a subcontractor doesn't have a leg to
stand on if his work does not comply precisely with the plans.

That's why change orders are double and a half whammy to the contractor
when the shoe is on the other foot ... he pays materials and labor the
first time, labor to tear out the error, then materials and labor again to
get it right.

IOW, "that's why good drawings are so important".

(I chant that to clients so often that I feel it must surely be written on
my forehead by now.)

I must have missed the apologetic tone and the vow to do better next time.
It read like a rant about careless vendors and the triumph of succesful
non-documentation.