Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Glue for scarf on garden hoe

In article ,
Dan Musicant ) wrote:

I have 3 hoes. I'm not particularly tall (5' 10.5"), but it seems that
they make hoes for people 5' 8" or less, because two of mine make my
back ache, having to bend over so much. I scarfed an extension on one a
few years ago and attempted a scarf on another hoe recently. The glue
was 1 hour epoxy I've had around for many years to which I'd added some
steel filings from my grinder. The reasoning was that the filings would
make the bond tougher. Well, the glue failed while using the hoe, so I
ground off the glue and tried another glue I had on hand, J-B Weld. I've
had the tubes for probably around 3 years. The packaging claims it's the
"Worlds finest cold weld" etc. Well, I'm using the hoe a couple of weeks
after this and the scarf breaks again!!

I never had trouble with the scarf on the other hoe. The angle is about
the same, around 30 degrees (guesstimating), the length of the scarf
being close to 3x the diameter of the handle.

Better glue?

Dan

I think you're asking too much for any glue alone. You could strengthen
the joint considerably by wrapping in 3 successive layers of fiberglass
+ epoxy. Do NOT use any fast-setting epoxy when strength is important.
No real epoxy reaches full hardness in less than 48 hours.

I googled:

long handled hoe

and got quite a few hits. That's the better option, I think.