Posted to alt.home.repair
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default laminate floor over cruddy vinyl tile -- subfloor?

BetaB4 wrote:
: Andrew Barss wrote:
:
: I'm hoing to locate a local dealer Delta-FL, which looks like an
: excellent product for this (it's a heavy, dimpled polystyrene
: subfloor).
: You may want to check and see if there is a Lumber Liquidators (
: http://lumberliquidators.com ) store near you. Someone here mentioned that
: to me recently and I was amazed at how much better their selection of
: products and prices were that Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

: I agree with the person who suggested taking up the existing tiles if it's
: not too much trouble, placing them in plastic bags, and throwing them out.
: Almost everywhere it is permitted for homeowners to do that with those types
: of tiles even if they do have asbestos in them. If it is concrete
: underneath, it should not be too much trouble scraping the up and trashing
: them. I think I read somewhere that if the tiles are 9x9, they may be from
: a time when some of them had asbestos, but if they are 12x12, they almost
: certainly do not have asbestos. But, either way, I'd say just remove them.

: Then do floor leveler, maybe just to even out the low spots, then plywood
: over top.

That's pretty much what I've decided to do, except no plywood.
The Delta-FL (which is available through Lowes as a special order,
at about .56/sf) goes down, with an optional layer of polystyrene
landscape fabric under it to decrease any clicking, with the
laminate (which has a foam underlayment built in) on top of that.

Now all I need to do is figure out which self-leveling compound to use.
I've gotten rcccomendations for RapidSet Tru from a couple of people.

I've also had a recc. for a paint called Artex, which goes over whatever
remains on the concrete to bond it, and which provides somethign for the
self-levelling compound to bond to.

Anyone have experience with Artex (which I am having trouble locating)
or recc. for self-leveling stuff?

-- Andy