Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default smoke alarms

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

snip

Don't know where you are, but Kent Fire Brigade will install smake
alarms for nothing.
http://www.kent.fire-uk.org/Your_Saf...etyvisits.html

Might be worth check your local brigade.

Lancashire fire brigade are the same.

Next door had a kitchen fire that did a fair bit of damage to the
fittings in the kitchen and blackened the rest of the house.

When the fire service were satisfied about the safety of the house
they fitted smoke alarms to it and came round to our house to do the
same.
Once they have done this, you go on a register they keep and they will
come back and change them at the recommended period.

Makes sense, as it takes a lot more money putting fires out than
fitting smoke alarms.

Absolutely. We apparently have one of the lowest fire death rates because
the fire brigade & building regs are so pro active.

I forgot to mention, about 2 weeks later we got a visit from the FB
again. They were doing a survey about fire awareness. Itold them I had
been trained for cotton fires by Oldham FB and again by Lancashire FB
and finally by BAe systems in the control of aircraft fires. After
asking a few questions, he turne round and said we had one of the lowest
risks of fire that he had seen in a long while.
Neither of us smokes, we dont have a chip pan, no open fires and only
one box of matches that are kept in a little used drawer etc.

Dave