Posted to alt.home.repair
Some Guy Some Guy is offline

Default Power/pressure washers: GPM & PSI - are they accurate, what is moreimportant

ransley wrote:

I've used the best units and the least powerfull, sizing a tool
is whats important like I dont use my 1/2 " hammer drill
to drill a 1/16" hole, but maybe you do. On that note id
rather have more gpm than pressure for my minimal needs

I can understand that if I'm washing something tough/nasty all day long
because it's my job, that I don't necessarily want the smallest nozzle
and spend a lot of time cleaning one spot because it's all my machine is
capable of.

There must be some minimum amount of PSI/GPM rating to make these things
worth buying for home or light commercial use.

And nobody has yet to comment on the power rating of the engine.

Since the engine is the real power behind these washers, how can it be
explained that there is such a wide range of power (from 5 hp to 15 hp)
yet the PSI and GPM numbers don't change very much, and sometimes two
different washers with identical GPM/PSI rating will have vastly
different engine HP rating.

I'm also looking at a sand pickup attachment (for wet sandblasting) that
claims to have a minimum requirement of 3 gpm @ 1500 psi.

http://www.princessauto.com/vmchk/sh...-sandblast-kit