Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Default Joint-Matic history?

I've become the proud owner of a Strong Tool Design Joint-Matic. At
least I'm proud so far. It looks like it's in great shape. Came with the
manual, the bevel miter, and an OLD Stanley router motor/base setup
which is also in pristine shape but it's so old it has a standard metal
toggle switch. Haven't actually made sawdust with it yet.

I've been googling but can't find much history on either of these. I
know ShopSmith bought the Joint-Matic in 1979, switched to one threaded
rod instead of two, and discontinued it some time in the 80's. Some
articles said it cost 999 new from ShopSmith but I can't find any info
on what it cost from Strong, or the years that Strong sold it.

Does anyone know? Any rumors or anything?

I think I"m going to mount this old Stanley router on it and see how it
goes. It's just so cute. I've been planning to build a horizontal router
system but I thought 75 bucks for this thing plus the router was not
much more than materials plus I have two new toys.

If you want I'll take some photos and post them to APBW. It's a hectic
weekend so it'll be a few days but I'll do it if anybody wants.

Since I can't find any info on the manual I was thinking of scanning or
photographing it and preserving it for posterity anyway.

Dan