Posted to uk.d-i-y
Corporal Jones Corporal Jones is offline

Default Watertight sealant round hot & cold pipes?

george (dicegeorge) wrote:
Reentrant wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

It depends how much you want to pay. Sikaflex is much better than
silicone sealant for use when continuously immersed.

Silicone is used to bond the glass in aquaria and lasts donkey's years
of continuous immersion under pressure.

but at constantish temperature,
water pipes change temperature a lot and move..

[g]

That is the good thing about good quality silicon, it is flexible.
I have used it for donkeys years (well at least the last 30) to seal
vacuum pipes that start at atmospheric and pull down to 5mb, you can
visibly see the flexible pipe shrink and stretch at 15 cycles per min.
but the silicon holds the seal.
For this use I use "Wacker" or "GE RTV", the sheds sell inferior products
--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"