Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jerry G. Jerry G. is offline

Default Toaster Oven Element

On Jul 6, 5:02*pm, Jimbo wrote:
I'm looking for an element for a toaster oven and none of the usual
appliance parts places have it. *It's a straight elelement about 12
inches long marked 60V/400W with thread posts on each end. *Can anyone
suggest a source either online or otherwise? *I'm in Toronto.

Thanks.

J.

You failed to mention the manufacture and model.

If you open the toaster oven, it is very likely that element is
connected in its assembly by arc-weilding, and not by crimp connection
or solder connection right at its immediate connection point. This is
because the temperature at its direct connection point is much too hot
for soldering or for crimp connecting.

Because the elements are a factory arc-welded assembly, this is
something that most service centers are not equiped to do. The cost
for the work tools, parts distribution, inventories, and the time
would not be worth it for a small appliance. When my toaster oven
fails, I bring it to the re-cycling depot near to my place. Maybe the
next car I buy, the metal in its body was a stove or a toaster oven!

Another interesting thing to consider, is that each of the elements
for a North American appliance are rated at 60 Volts. In a 4 element
toastar oven, they would then put them in 2 groups that are in series
to give a rating of 120 Volts. This would be in each section (lower
and upper) in order to have 4 elements in total. Each section group is
rated for 120 Volts.

A single element cannot be changed even if elements were available and
you were able to do the arc-welding work to change them. As the
elements are used, over time their resistance will change slightly. If
a new one is added, there will no longer be an exact ballance of the
resistance between the two elements. The one of the higher resistance
would burn out faster. As these elements age, their resistance may not
change linearly in relation to each other, and therefore one of the
elements will burn out before the other.

It's time to buy a new toaster!!!

Jerry G.