Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default screws or nails for exterior stairs?

On Jul 11, 8:45*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Do I need to pre-drill for screwing into 2x?

I would. *Only takes a few seconds and you get better results in thick wood.
I'd use a countersink also.

With the TORX head deck screws and an impact driver, predrilling only
wastes time unless you are putting the fastener perilously close to an
edge, say 1/2" or so. You can bury the screw in the wood as deep as
you wish without a countersink. The screws have serrations on the
taper below the head making countersinks unnecessary. Takes a bit of
easy on the trigger to set them just flush at first. Some of the
longer screws I use are high tensile 4 inchers, slim enough to avoid
splits. There are even TORX head finishing screws at our local lumber
yard. Great for fussy trim work where the usual hammer and nail set
routine winds up looking messy. IMO, some impressive new products.

Joe