Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Why Good Drawings Are Important - Long Boring Story

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 02:37:48 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Tom Watson wrote:
(WARNING - THIS IS A LONG AND BORING STORY ABOUT **** UPS IN THE
MANUFACTURING WORLD - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED)

[...]

Anyway - this is how I came to own a copy of Machinery's Handbook and
know what I know about threaded tolerances.

Sorry if I bored you.

Boring? Not at all. It's an instructive case study in the consequences of
failing to examine assumptions. Thanks for posting.

Thanks, Doug. I'm glad that you got it.

This kind of thing goes on all the time in that world, and I am sure,
in many others.

We had technology in place to address the potential problem but so few
people had been trained on it, including me, that we did not know how
to use it properly.

It was only through a conversation with an "engineer" (draftsman) that
I learned of how an Inventor drawing is made.

A few weeks later it was required that all PM's and Senior PM's go
through the training that our design staff had gone through.

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/