Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default screws or nails for exterior stairs?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
sluggo wrote:
I'm rebuilding my exterior stairs, and will be joining treated 2x
lumber. Should I use screws or nails to join the stringers to the
supports? How about for attaching the treads?

In virtually all applications, screws hold better than nails. It wouldn't
hurt to slather on some aggressive glue either.

Just use the proper screws. For some reason (cheap and easy) people think
drywall screws are the answer to every dream of holding things together.
They are brittle and prone to break under stress. If you have questions.
www.mcfeelys.com has many answers as to types and uses.