Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Veatch[_2_] Tom Veatch[_2_] is offline

Default Plumber's tape needed?

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:24:12 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Tom Veatch wrote:

Or gain? If a compression fitting leaks, sealant on the threads won't
do a thing to help contain the leak.

Teflon tape isn't worth a toot as a sealant anyway, but it's a dandy
lubricant.

Or gain? If a compression fitting leaks, "lubricant" on the threads
won't do a thing to help contain the leak.

In fact, since a compression fitting can be overtightened, with
adverse effects, lubricant on the threads may be contra-indicated.
I've never encountered a compression fitting (or a flare fitting, for
that matter) where sealed or lubricated threads would be any benefit
either in assembly or disassembly.

Here, I assume we are talking about compression fittings
(
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/compress.html) not tapered pipe threads
which seal by interference fit (compression) between the male and
female threads. Another post in this thread seems to blur the
distinction between those two categories.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA