Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Truing up chuck jaws

DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

I have struggeled all afternon with trying to get the chuck and face
plate turn true. I have reduced the wobble to about 0.012" which is
realistically the limit of my ability and the dead-blow hammer. For
allI know the thread on the 1" bolt ("the spindle) has not been cut
true.

This is a vise on a slide with a leadscrew? Maybe two at
something approximating right angles? I'll bet that there is not
enough rigidity on that, either.

I shall post some pics on flickr when I get it together. I was supposed to
work on it today but thought I would go fencing in AM (we are doing a demo
for kids early next week). As a result my back said 'no' to any further
activity (it was iffy to start with). Maybe tomorrow...

[ ... reamers ... ]

I guess this is OK up to about 1/2". Economy-wise.

Or one reamer just for the size you need, not a full set.

I have adopted the policy of buying them one at a time depending on
the job at hand. But when they get to 1/2" they start getting quite
expensive.

Have you checked eBay? IIRC, the diameter which you were
looking for was 5/8". Check out these auctions:

300321263442

250460980926

170316404632

180379269150

270422638488

120408982014

400027644383

390067078707

390067071101

390066837988

120431725903

3837402768 (yes, this does appear to be the number)

320284520680

and quite a few more. I skipped over the adjustable expansion
reamers and the tapered reamers, along with a few others which I felt
would be unsuitable.

My search string was:

reamers 5/8"

and the prices go from about $2.95 up. Some of the lots offer extra
reamers in addition to the 5/8" which you want. There are both hand
reamers (square end for holding in a tap wrench) and chucking reamers
(for use under power).

So -- you can pick up what you need on eBay for much more
reasonable prices than from a new vendor.

That was a lot of work and I do appreciate it! Sadly a) majority of the
vendors do not ship to Canada and b) those that do charge shipping that
makes the whole deal un-economical. I can get a 5/8" M-2 reamer from KBC for
about Cdn $25 if it becomes necessary. I like their drill-length reamers BTW
which are God-sent in the Taig but they do not go higher than 1/2".

Next week I am off to Vancouver and KBC has been added to the list of "candy
stores".

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC