Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default Water meters

jake wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 22:13:24 +0100, "Roger Mills"

Dave wrote:

I don't know which area you live in, but Severn Trent have a FAQ
about water meters at
http://www.s****er.co.uk/server.php?show=ConWebDoc.3054 Other water
companies probably have something similar.

Water meters are evil.

The ecological cost of fitting these pointlesss device is outrageous.
Having said that I support the right of anyone who wants one to have
one BUT (in my world) at THEIR request and true cost and NOT the water
companies insistence.

A million reasons - for starters
The cost (in energy and materials) of making the damn things
The cost (in energy and materials) of fitting the damn things
The cost (in energy and materials) of repairing the damn things
The cost in increase in disease infection and infestation when people
stop washing the dishes, the drains and themselves - and the will when
the price is right!
The water flow through the sewers will fall as peole will not flsh the
loo when they should.

If you think all this is wrong, calculate (estimate) the cost (in kWh)
to do the above.

many many many other reasons.

Of course, as I said some will want them because they seek to pay less
than everyone else. There are always people like this. But when the
overall social good is at stake, water meters are a curse.

The water companies will INCREASE the price once enough people are
hooked. The shareholders will win and YOU will lose. For G's sake
learn will you.

ps upper case meant for emphasis not shouting in this post.

Thank you have a nice day.

I appreciate all the issues that you have raised are valid and need
considering; however, on the other side of the coin is the very high
standard required of potable water now that requires significant
infrastructure spend and increasingly high energy inputs in treatment. If it
reduces folks tendency to make profiligate use of water on their cars and
gardens then this is a virtue; similarly if it encourages folk to use
showers.