Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland Peter Crosland is offline

Default Septic tank emptying - average cost?

Last time I had my septic tank emptied it cost about £80. Is this
still the 'average' price?

How long is a piece of string?

Seriously though much of the cost depends on how much the local water
authority charges for the discharge in their sewer. Mine, in the Wessex
Water area, cost me £105 last autumn.

Peter Crosland

Good point about the piece of string analogy. :-)

To be honest I didn't think that septic tanks were supposed to need
emptying (I have a 'two tank' arrangement which I assume is par for
the course, ie solids AND water go into one tank then when the level
is at a certain height the liquid drains into the second tank and then
into the soakaway).

But ever since I moved into this property a few years ago I find the
tank needs emptying about once every 12 to 18 months - I know when it
needs doing as the level in the 'sewer' system (that the toilet, bath,
etc drain into on the way to the tank) gets higher and the solids and
water inlet pipe to the first tank gets blocked every few days as the
'water' isn't flowing out as well as it used to. Empty the tanks and
all is well for the next 12 to 18 months.

I assume you have a brick or concrete tank. It is a myth that septic tanks
don't need emptying. A major problem is that they are seldom maintained and
inspected for proper functionality. Any septic tanks has a finite size, and
the solids need removing from this from time to time to ensure that it
operates correctly. The second chamber should contain no solids because the
outflow into the soakaway should be fluid only. It is good practice to have
the flow through the system from the first chamber regularly and an ideal
time to do this is when the tank is empty. If it is not the soakaway will,
over a period of years, get clogged and eventually will have to be excavated
and reconstructed. If you have not lived in a property with septic tank
drainage before remember that using as few detergents as possible and not
flushing disposable nappies will help to prevent blockages. This sounds
obvious but it does happen! From what you say it sounds as if you should
have it done annually before you get a problem and to prevent solids getting
into the second chamber.

Peter Crosland