Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default dumb clothesline?

on 7/11/2009 12:58 AM (ET) Winston wrote the following:
Ken S. Tucker wrote:
Wife ordered a clothesline installed.
After inspection all's well except I/we figure we need a
'clotheline elevator' something like here,
http://www.canadiantire.ca/search/se...08474396672077

The idea is she hangs clothes at hip height off a
1 foot platform, then hoists them up ~ 3 - 4'.

I'm a DIYer, so I'm also happy to build the unit,
so I'm asking for suggestions and best product
recommendations.
Ken

Maybe something like this, driven by a garage door opener?
http://www.google.com/patents?id=t1B...drawing&zoom=4

--Winston

Patent filed in 1949? How come I've never seen one? I guess there was
no one around like Billy Mays then, I guess. :-)
This appears to be hand operated. Line #18 is pulled through pulley #17
to raise the clothes line pulley (#14) and then tied off at #20.
It must have been hard to raise that heavily loaded #14 pulley. It might
have needed some extra pulleys between #17 and #20 to ease the raising.
I'll get on that right away. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY